– Festival de Diablos y Congos (Portobelo). devil masks and costumes fill the city to celebrate the country’s slave ancestors.
Holy Week (week before Easter) :Semana Santa(national). Religious processions on Good Friday and re-enactment of Christ’s resurrection.
– April 3-13 : Feria de Azuero (Villa de Los Santos). County fair: singing competitions, folk dancing, rural agricultural fair.
– Mid-April : Feria de Orquideas (Boquete). Orchid Festival.
– April / May : Feria de Azuero (Villa de Los Santos). Singing competitions, folk dancing, rural agricultural fair.
– 40 days after Easter: Fiesta de Corpus Christi (Villa de Los Santos). Masks and costumes replicate mythological figures and perform dances, acrobatics.
– 40 days after Easter: Fiesta de Corpus Christi (Villa de Los Santos). A 2-week religious festival where masks and costumes replicate mythological figures, angels, and devils, and features elaborate dance performances, acrobatics.
– July 20-22 : Festival de Santa Liberada (Las Tablas). Street celebrations, music, dance, religious services, processions.
– July 20-22 : Festival de la Pollera (Las Tablas). Look for girls parading down the town donned in traditional polleras.
– 3rd week August: Festival del Manito Ocueno (Ocu). Three-day folkloric event featuring traditional music and dances, and a country wedding.
– Sept 24/last week of Sept : La Mejorana (Guarare). Musicians and folkloric groups host 1 week of events, parades, and shows.
– 2nd week Sept : Feria Internacional del Mar (Bocas del Toro). A 5-day event showcasing local cuisine, handicrafts, folkloric presentations, dances. Participation by the Smithsonian & ANAM.
– Oct 12 : Dia de la Raza (Columbus Day). Brass bands flood the streets.
– Oct 19 : Festival de Chitre (Chitre). Parades, dances, folkloric shows.
– Oct 21 : Festival of the Black Christ (Portobelo). Thousands pilgramage to Portabelo to process, dance, and drink.
The country shuts down to celebrate their Independence from Colombia and Spain. Businesses will be closed on these days.
– Nov 3-4 : Fiestas Patrias. The country celebrates its Independence from Colombia with parades and fireworks (larger cities). On Nov 4 of each year there is a small parade through the town of Cañas starting around 2pm with floats and women/men in traditional attire.
– Nov 10 : First call for Independence from Spain(Villa de Los Santos).
– Nov 28 : Dia de Independencia. Independence from Spain. National holiday with marching parades.
– Last week Nov : Feria de las Tierras Altas (Volcan). 5-day celebration of agriculture, local art, culture.
– Christmas (Most of Panama is Catholic and festive decorations adorn houses!)
– New Years Eve : parties across the country but in Las Tablas, the queen is coronated with fireworks at parades.