Getting Around: Chitre / Las Tablas
Getting around Chitre / Las Tablas
Chitre and Las Tablas are essential cities for life on the Azuero Peninsula. They serve as the jumping off points to access other local villages, as well as hubs for service providers from banks, discount shops, supermarkets, print shops, auto repair.
Chitre is a large city with all the amenities and a great place to stock up on food and get business done. In this modern city, you’ll find all the creature comforts, from rental car agencies, banks, utilities offices, import goods, medical care, furniture stores, and more!
From Chitre, you can either
- Rent a car,
- Take a door-to-door taxi ($45-50, skip to bottom for contacts), or
- Connect on minibuses (Chitre -> Las Tablas -> Pedasi -> Playa Venao).
The drive from Chitre – Venao is approx 90 mins. Still the fastest way to get around is by car.
THRIFTY CAR RENTAL
The closest place to rent a car would be in Chitre. The easiest place to do it is at the airport especially if you fly in.
Aeropuerto de Chitré (Alonso Valderrama)
Mon – Fri: 7am – 5pm
Sat: 7am – 12pm
Tel: (507) 996-9565
There’s also another branch in town, on Paseo Enrique Geenzier, open M-F 8am-5pm, (507) 996-9565.
Other car rental companies include Dollar (279-5722), Hertz (229-5257), Arrendadora Economica (229-5257)
Chitre – Las Tablas
Chitre Bus Terminal
* Terminal de Transportes de Herrera.
* Bus to Panama City, Las Tablas, Santiago, and everywhere else.
* Located on the big new paved highway, Via Circunvalacion (near AutoCentro, Super Xtra, Novey, Spiegel). 996-6426
* TRANSPORTE TUASA Tel. (507) 996-5619 (Chitre)
* TRANSPORTE INAZUN Tel. (507) 996-1794 (Chitre)
A shuttle runs to Las Tablas every 7-10 minutes from the Chitre Bus Terminal.
Duration: 30 minutes
Las Tablas –> Chitre
First bus: 5:15am
Last Bus: 7:00 pm
Chitre –> Las Tablas
First bus: 5:50am
Last Bus: 9:20 pm
Note: If you are headed to Pedasi, ask the driver to drop you off mid-way at the minibus stop to Pedasi (la parada del bus hasta Pedasi). The final stop is a good 15-minute walk from the minibus stop.
Las Tablas is considered the cultural seat of Panama, with frequent cultural events bringing nationals to the quaint farming town throughout the year.
The bus stops are located in different parts of town. View the Las Tablas Bus Map for easy reference. Taxis cost around $2 to get around town.
From Las Tablas, you can either
- take a door-to-door taxi ($35-40, skip to bottom for contacts), or
- connect on minibuses (Las Tablas -> Pedasi -> Playa Venao).
Las Tablas – Pedasi
Duration: 45 minutes
Las Tablas to Pedasi
First bus: 5am
Last bus: 6pm
Pedasi to Las Tablas
First bus: 5:30am (but arrive at 5am as the bus gets packed)
Last bus: 4:30pm
COOPAVIFEC Las Tablas Bus Terminal
* Located between the Circunvalacion and Supercarnes at the entrance of Las Tablas, on Via Belisario Porras (right side).
* Buses connecting Las Tablas and Chitre departing every 7-10 minutes.
* Duration: 30 mins. Cost $1.50
* Leaves Las Tablas between 5:15am – 7pm
* Leaves Chitre between 5:50am – 9:20pm (8:30pm Sat)
A shuttle runs to Chitre every 7-10 minutes from the Coopevifec parking lot.
Taxi Nuevo Milenio 996-6676
Taxi Tableao 994-6615
Taxi Santa Liberada 994-6236 / 994-9493
Taxi Super Centro Rosa 994-8533